pg_dump, bytea, dump order questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Együd Csaba
Subject pg_dump, bytea, dump order questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,
I'd like to dump out my database using plain text format. Everything is ok,
but the bytea filds.

Restoring the dump file (using <<psql -f LO_TRY_INSERT_BYTEA.sql tmp7>>) it
sends an error message like
  psql:LO_TRY_INSERT_BYTEA.sql:14: ERROR:  Bad input string for type bytea

Trying dumping with copy commands it sends this error:
  psql:LO_TRY_COPY_BYTEA.sql:13: lost synchronization with server, resetting
connection

I used <<pg_dump -d ...>> and <<pg_dump ...>> formats for creating dump
files.

How should I use pg_dump to make it able to back my binary data correctly?

An other question. How can I make psql to change the dupm order of db
objects? My problem is, that one of my table fields has a default clasuse
using a plpgsql function. As being functions dumped after table definitions
creating these tables fail. What can I do in order to avoid these problems -
without modifying every dump file by hand?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
  -- Együd Csaba

---