Accessing Postgres db from apache using PHP - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From bruce
Subject Accessing Postgres db from apache using PHP
Date
Re: [PHP] Accessing Postgres db from apache using PHP  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-novice
Hi...

I'm new to Postgres... I've installed Postgres on a Linux RH 8.0 server. I'm
trying to access a pgsql db from an Apache website, using PHP(v-4.2.2). I've
taken a look at google and through the archives with no real luck...

I created a Linux user and given the user rights to the Postgres group.
I created a Linux user (gforge) and given it rights to the Postgres group.
Using the gforge user, I created a postgres user, using
    -> createuser gforge - W
I gave the user the password of ->gforge

I gave the user rights to add/create databases, but not add new users
I then installed a database.
    pgsql -U gforge -d gforge < gforge3.sql

At this point, I can see that I have a db in postgres....
I did a "\l" and it displayed:
    name    owner    encoding
-->>    gforge    gforge    sql_ascii

In my php code, I have....

$sys_dbhost = "localhost";
$sys_dbname = "gforge";
$sys_user = "gforge";
$sys_dbpasswd = "gforge";

i then do a:
    $tmp = "host=localhost dbname=gforge user=gforge password=gforge";
    $conn = @pg_connect($tmp);

at this point $conn is not set... it should be a resouce if I've connect to
the DB..!!!!!!!

So.. the question... Anybody have any idea as to what I've done wrong/left
out/etc...

Any pointers/comments/criticisms would be helpful.....
Any sample docs, or code that illustrates how this should be accomplished
would be helpful...

Thanks...

Bruce Douglas
(925) 866-2790