Re: Creating a session variable in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nagib Abi Fadel
Subject Re: Creating a session variable in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Well i thought about that but i don't feel like it is a clean way.

Actually i need to create a dynamic view depending on the user choice of a
certain variable via a web application.

Let's say for example the variable is called "X". The view is called
"t_view" and the temporary table is called "t_temp".
Each time a user connects to the web, the application will initialize the
variable X and it will be inserted into the temporary table t_temp.

i defined the following view: CREATE VIEW t_view as select * from SomeTable
where id = (select X from t_temp);
This didn't work first cause the temporary table does not exist.
So i created the temporary table then created the view "t_view" and then the
view was created (i kind of fooled the system).

Now every time a user access the web application he will choose a value for
X and the t_temp will be created and X inserted in it.

I solved my problem but it does not seem like a "clean way".

Any ideas ??

I have now a DYNAMIC view