Re: Case sensitivity question . . . - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Wood
Subject Re: Case sensitivity question . . .
Date
List pgsql-general
http://www7.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/user/sql-syntax.html#SQL
-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

----- Excerpt -----
There is a second kind of identifier: the delimited identifier or quoted
identifier. It is formed by enclosing an arbitrary sequence of characters in
double-quotes ("). A delimited identifier is always an identifier, never a
key word. So "select" could be used to refer to a column or table named
"select", whereas an unquoted select would be taken as a key word and would
therefore provoke a parse error when used where a table or column name is
expected. The example can be written with quoted identifiers like this:

UPDATE "my_table" SET "a" = 5;

Quoted identifiers can contain any character other than a double quote
itself. This allows constructing table or column names that would otherwise
not be possible, such as ones containing spaces or ampersands. The length
limitation still applies.

Quoting an identifier also makes it case-sensitive, whereas unquoted names
are always folded to lower case. For example, the identifiers FOO, foo and
"foo" are considered the same by Postgres, but "Foo" and "FOO" are different
from these three and each other. [1]

That being said, I wouldn't do it unless you really need it.

Greg