Re: Problems during doing reindex on 7.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Denis Perchine
Subject Re: Problems during doing reindex on 7.0.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14 November 2000 07:33, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Denis Perchine wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have very interesting problem. I have quite highly loaded database.
> > Once a day I create new indices, and after that drop old ones. Ido this
> > one by one.
>
> Your "reindex" is different from REINDEX command,isn't it ?

Sure. It is a sequnce like:
create index ix_name_1 ...;
drop index ix_name;
alter table ix_name_1 rename to ix_name;

For each index I like to recreate.

> > All is fine except this error message I sometimes get for some of the
> > queries just after reindex.
> >
> > ERROR:  Index 2050642 does not exist
> >
> > Looks like index oid was already resolved, but index was not locked
> > yet... And it was dropped just under the feet...
>
> Parser-rewriter-planner acquires a short term lock.
> This may be improved in 7.1 though I'm not sure.

That's really bad,  as it forces some of the queries to fail... And I can not
detect the situation, as PostgreSQL does not have any classes for errors.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine

E-Mail: dyp@perchine.com