Re: pg_avd - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: pg_avd
Date
List pgsql-patches
From: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> The only question I have is whether there is any way to see how much
> free space is available for each relation, and whether this is an issue.
> Is there code that sees lots of inserts into a table and starts a
> vacuum on it to try to fill up the free space list?  My concern is that
> without knowing how much free space is recorded, it might be hard to
> know if a vacuum is required.

Since there is currently no way to know about the status from the FSM from
the client side I didn't encorporate anything related to it.

I had thought about extending the stats system to show FSM information, but
I wasn't sure it's a good idea and I wasn't sure how to do it (not that good
when dealing with code in the backend yet...) .  Thoughts anyone?

More generally speaking, everytime there is an update or a delete, free
space was created, so just by looking at the activity on the table we have a
rough idea if we need to vacuum.  What we don't know is if a highly updated
table has exhausted it's FSM entries and would benifit from a vacuum to
repopulate the FSM.