Re: pg_avd - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_avd
Date
List pgsql-patches
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Well I agree the implementation is not polished enough, but I can keep
> working on that till everyone is happy.  The question I really have is
> the concept.  However I feel I'm getting enough positive feedback to
> keep working on it for inclusion into contrib, possibly bin but I agree
> that one cycle in contrib might be a good idea.

Yep, certainly very good feedback on this.

The only question I have is whether there is any way to see how much
free space is available for each relation, and whether this is an issue.
Is there code that sees lots of inserts into a table and starts a
vacuum on it to try to fill up the free space list?  My concern is that
without knowing how much free space is recorded, it might be hard to
know if a vacuum is required.