Benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Cornelison
Subject Benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't know if this is an already talked about issue. If it is I apologize
in advance.

I getting ready to gear up for a major database project.
I am considering pgsql and oracle on a Intel/Linux platform.
I did see the comparison of the different feature of all the databases, but
that is not exactly what I need.
I was really wondering if there are any existing benchmarks between the two.
like the number of selected records/second for a narrow table (10-20
columns) and as well for a wide table (150+ columns)
I would also be interested in the local vs. networked client benchmarks as
well.
I would also be interested in the speed of the inserts on similar tables.

My projects is going to have very heavy traffic (some web, some data entry,
and some real time data) and performance is going to be key.

I just wanted to see if anyone has done anything like this before I attempt
it. It would help minimize some of my work and/or reinforce any of my
fining.

Thanks
Michael Cornelison