bug - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David Orr
Subject bug
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Your name        :    Dave Orr
Your email address    :    dave@weft.co.uk

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)      :Intel Pentium

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)     :Linux 2-2.14-lmdklinus

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0):   PostgreSQL-7.0.2

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)        :gcc 2.95.2

I create two tables where a field in one is constrained to only contain values
that exist in a field in the other. I create a group and grant all on the
constrained table to that group. I grant the group select on the constraining
table. I add a user to the group. When the user tries to insert into the
constrained table, I get permission denied.

I need to grant update on the constraining table in order to insert a record
into the constrained table

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a
Create a database named test. Run this script into it:

create table by_me(
    needed int primary key
);
insert into by_me values(1);

create table im_constrained(
    field1 int,

    constraint im_constrained_by_me  foreign key ( field1)
     references by_me
     match full
     on delete no action
);

create group test;
grant select,update,delete,insert on im_constrained to group test;
grant select on by_me to group test;

Add a user to group "test"
suid to that user and try to add a record

test=> insert into im_constrained values(1);
ERROR:  by_me: Permission denied.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below: