Dllist public/private part - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mendola Gaetano
Subject Dllist public/private part
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I'm improving the Dllist in these direction:

1) Avoid "if" statements in insertion/remove phase, for instance now the
AddHeader appear like this:

void
DLAddHead(Dllist *l, Dlelem *e)
{  Dlelem *where = l->dll_master_node->dle_next;  e->dle_next = where;  e->dle_prev = where->dle_prev;
  where->dle_prev->dle_next = e;  where->dle_prev = e;
  e->dle_list = l;

}

2) Not using a malloc but using a "special" malloc that not perform  a malloc for each request but do a BIG malloc at
firstrequest...

In the file dllist.h is not clear what is the public part and the private
part
of the implementation in particulary I see that somewhere in the code
there is the assumption that an Empty dllist is "zeroed"  instead of
use DLInitList, for example this is the way to initialize a struct that
contain a Dllist itself:

cp = (CatCache *) palloc0(sizeof(CatCache) + NCCBUCKETS * sizeof(Dllist));

this break my optimization because in my implementation a
dllist is

typedef struct Dllist
{       Dlelem     *dll_master_node;
} Dllist;

and not anymore:

typedef struct Dllist
{       Dlelem     *dll_head;       Dlelem     *dll_tail;
} Dllist;

and is empty if list->dll_master_node->dle_next and
list->master_node->dle_prev are pointing to
list->master_node ( previously allocated in DLInitList).

What should I do ?  Forget the point 1)  ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola