Re: How do I start postmaster with -i for tcp-ip - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Nabil Sayegh
Subject Re: How do I start postmaster with -i for tcp-ip
Date
List pgsql-novice
> Thanks for the help but I still can't get it to work..
>
> This is what is in my startup file:
>
> su -l -s /bin/sh postgres -c "LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p/
> usr/bin/postmaster start >/dev/null 2>&1" < /dev/null
>
> I have tried to put -i or -i\ in serveral places mostly after $PGDATA and
it
> fails to load.  w/out -i it works fine???

The backslashes belong to the quotes.
The program you call is pg_ctl, but -i is a parameter for postmaster.
You pass parameters to postmaster by specifying them after the -o option.
To be able to put more than one parameter to the postmaster you should
enclose them
in quotes. But as the whole string already is in quotes (su "...") you have
to use backslashes for the inner quotes.

cu
--
 Nabil Sayegh