Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb

From: Greg Quinn
Subject: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb
Date: ,
Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Jim C. Nasby")
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Greg Quinn", )
 Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Merlin Moncure", )
 Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
  Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Greg Quinn", )
  Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (Ruben Rubio Rey, )
   Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (Chris, )
 Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Greg Quinn", )
  Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (Markus Schaber, )
 Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Greg Quinn", )
  Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (PFC, )
  Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Merlin Moncure", )
  Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Greg Quinn", )
  Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Dave Dutcher", )
   Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (Antoine, )
  Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Magnus Hagander", )
   Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  (Antoine, )
   Re: [Solved] Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb  ("Merlin Moncure", )

Hello,

I have just installed PostGreSql 8.1 on my Windows XP PC. I created a simple
table called users with 4 varchar fields.

I am using the OleDb connection driver. In my .NET application, I populate
3000 records into the table to test PostGreSql's speed. It takes about 3-4
seconds.

Even worse is displaying the 3000 records in a ListView control. It takes
about 7 seconds. In MySQL, the exact same table and application displays the
same 3000 records in under 1/2 second!!!

Why is PostGreSql so slow compared to MySQL? What do you recommend I do to
speed up? It is such a simple query and small database.