RE: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with large tables. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Miyabara-McCaskey
Subject RE: Expectations of MEM requirements for a DB with large tables.
Date
List pgsql-general
Kuroi,

Thank you for the response.

I was not specifically thinking of diagnosing my crash, but if you are
curious...

 - about a 1000 error messgaes saying that kswapd could not do something
relating to allocating memory.

 - after stopping the "psql" job, it still took about 20 minutes before my
Linux OS recovered enough to reboot.

 - yep, used "psql", plan on using Perl-DBI soon... I guess from your
response I better make sure that whatever I use never does a full blown
'select *' on that table.

 - 2.2.17 from kernel.org, w/RAID patch.

 - PostgreSQL 7.0.2 was installed via the RPM from RedHat.

 - 98MB of RAM (this is a simple test system only)

 - 256MB of SWAP on a Linux SWAP Partition.

 - SWAP settings? Hmm... sorry this is where my novice level shows its
colors, didn't know I could modify it.

 - Other processes, sure tons of them...

Anyway, based upon your response, I understand that the 1 to 1 ratio is what
crashed my system.

Hmm, now you have me wondering though... I recall reading something that
mentioned that data storage size in PostgreSQL is about 6 times the size of
standard text, so, if my table size is about 5.5GB on the disk does this
mean I really could only need about well say... 5.5GB / 6 = 936MB of RAM?

Any idea?

-Michael Miyabara-McCaskey