Re: Create database bug in 8.1.3 ? -> solved - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Milen Kulev
Subject Re: Create database bug in 8.1.3 ? -> solved
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Dough,
Thank you for your answer.
Now the reasons for using template0 DB are pretty clear (there a mini test-case
Of this in the mail you have just answered;)).

Thanks again.

Regards. Milen

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Douglas McNaught
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:05 PM
To: Milen Kulev
Cc: 'William ZHANG'; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Create database bug in 8.1.3 ? -> solved

"Milen Kulev" <makulev@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Wiliam,
> Than you very much for your prompt reply.
>
> I can not understand why pg_dump, pg_dumpall have hard-coded
> "template0" ?

The reason is this:  any extra stuff that your database inherited from template1 (or whatever template you used) will
be
dumped out as part of your database.  There is no way to for pg_dump to tell what parts came from template1 and what
parts were added afterward, so it bases its dump on template0, which is a minimal database.  If you based your restored
database on template1, you would get collisions as the restore tried to add objects that were already there from
template1.

Make sense?

-Doug

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster