New to ODBC with postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Tim LoGrasso
Subject New to ODBC with postgresql
Date
List pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I think I must be missing something fundamental but for the life of me I’m not able to figure it out.  Hopefully someone here will be kind enough to point me in the right direction.  Essentially I am trying to setup a mail merge between Microsoft Word and a postgresql database.  I’m on Windows XP with MS Word 2002.

I have setup a DSN for the database I’m trying to connect to with the following info: DATABASE: production, SERVER: ip address, PORT: 5432.

Then I go into MS Word and choose Tools->Letters and Mailings->Mail Merge Wizard.

I then chose Browse for a database.

I’m then prompted to choose a data source and I chose “+Connect to new data source”

Next I choose ODBC DSN and choose the data source I’d earlier created.

Then I enter user name and password and choose test.

I get the following error:  “Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. blank

The other variation I try is instead of choosing “Connect to new data source” I click the “New Source…” button.

It then starts with connect string instead of data source name chosen.

I click build next to the connect string field and fill in the database, server ip address, port and password info.

I then get the following error: “Operation cannot be executed because an error occurred during connection to the driver.”

I figured out how to trace the ODBC drivers and I’ve attached the SQL.LOG file.  I just downloaded the window’s driver from the postgres site on Friday so I should have the most recent versions.

I’ve configured the postgres server to allow host connections from all IP’s on my subnet.  I’ve also set tcpip_socket=true in postgresql.conf.

This is all the info I can think of attaching at the moment.  Please let me know if you need anything else to make this work.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Tim LoGrasso

Attachment