Re: Returning with a userd defined type (PL/pgSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Együd Csaba
Subject Re: Returning with a userd defined type (PL/pgSQL)
Date
List pgsql-general
> It isn't clear (at least to me) what you are asking. Can you provide a
> self-contained example function along with supporting information (table
> definitions, etc.) and the error message you are getting?

Hi Joe,

Sorry, I should have provided these information before.
I want to filter the rows of a table and give some additional information
calculated for every row.
(I know that I do something wrong but I couldn'n find anything in the
documentation similar to this.)

An example: (on Postgres 7.3.2, RedHat 7.1)
-----------------------
create table t (id      integer, name char(32));

create type MY_TYPE as (tid int, tname char(32), additional_info int);

create or replace function "my_func" () returns setof MY_TYPE as'
declare
  R            record;
  ResultR   MY_TYPE;
begin
  for R in execute ''select * from t where id > 20'' loop
    -- I know it has no meaning, but it can demonstrate what I want: simply
    -- extending the information retrieved from the table.
    ResultR.tid := R.id;
    ResultR.tname := R.name;
    ResultR.additional_info := R.id * 2;

    return next ResultR;
  end loop;
  return;
end;
'LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

pg732=# insert into t values (1,'name1');
INSERT 39602 1
pg732=# insert into t values (2,'name2');
INSERT 39603 1
pg732=# insert into t values (20,'name20');
INSERT 39604 1
pg732=# insert into t values (21,'name21');
INSERT 39605 1
pg732=# insert into t values (22,'name22');
INSERT 39606 1
pg732=# select * from my_func();
WARNING:  plpgsql: ERROR during compile of my_func near line 12
ERROR:  Incorrect argument to RETURN NEXT at or near "ResultR"

The last command should result in something similar:

 id |               name               | additional_info
 21 | name21                           |              42
 22 | name22                           |              44
(2 rows)

Thanks

Csaba