Re: PostgreSQL in Arabic - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Re: PostgreSQL in Arabic
Date
List pgsql-novice
I didn't see mentioning of --enable-locale on my system. I didn't see
LANG and LC_ALL in postgresql.conf either.

I did see --encoding=ENCODING option in initdb, and in createdb,
however. I created my dbs w/o using the command line although I did
specify encoding as UNICODE, and I didn't use encoding option in initdb.

I guess I will be using --encoding=ENCODING first with createdb, and
then with initdb, when I get a chance. Hope that will solve the problem.

Sincerely,
r.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ruslan N. Balkin [mailto:baron@voices.ru]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 9:01 PM
To: Reshat Sabiq
Cc: hendrik@mantisnet.co.za; pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL in Arabic

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:05:29 -0500
Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i also didn't receive a reply on a similar questions. The way i
> thought it would work is:
> 1) Unicode-encoding DB
> 2) char, varchar etc. fields.
>
> but, in reality, with that set up i wasn't able to insert even
> non-English, but still ASCII chars, let alone Unicode chars. I'm
> pretty sure it's possible, but still don't know how.
>
> Sincerely,
> r.

I think you need to provide --enable-locale and/or --enable-unicode to
the configure script (never compiled by myself, but saw something
similar).
Before doing initdb, set LANG and LC_ALL to the desired locale (in my
setup, ru_RU.KOI8-R)
Locale settings at the moment of doing initdb could be found in your
postgresql.conf; at the end of file; so if you see the "C" locale there,
I will not be surprised if you cannot enter any non-alphanumeric
characters to your db.
Changing values in postgresql.conf doesn't seems to do anything, so I
guess you should backup your data, erase your PG_DATA, and initdb with
your locale settings.
Sorry if this didn't help, I'm definitely not a postgresql expert
--
WBR, Balkin Ruslan