Re: Welcom & a problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Egyud Csaba
Subject Re: Welcom & a problem
Date
Re: Welcom & a problem  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I do appologize you to being silent so long but I had no time to read my
mails. Thank you all to pay attention to my silly problems.

Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder whether this database is getting vacuumed regularly?
> Depending on your data patterns, it might also be that you need to reindex
every so often.

You are absolutely right.
I already vacuumed and reindexed my db, and it seems to be all right. To
tell the truth, I couldn't try it yet on the live environment, but it was
working on my test sever well.

I read somwhere, that the number of the shared buffers should also be
increased.
I've browsed through the archive and found a valuable article of Bruce
Momjian on hardware performance issues and he writes that the shared_buffers
can be set in the postgresql.conf file.
Simply there isn't any file whith this name on my server. I use PG v7.0.3.
Is that possible that this conf file has been introduced in the later
releases?

There are two files in the /var/lib/pgsql/data/ directory: postmaster.opts
and postmaster.opts.default.
The postmaster.opts is overwritten during the postmaster's start process, so
I lose all of my changes on it. The postmaster.opts.default file is OK after
the start of the postmaster, but I don't know how to check weather the new
options are working.

Thank you and reguards,
Csaba

---