Re: Postgress and MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rick Gigger
Subject Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date
Re: Postgress and MYSQL  ("Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@vcsn.com>)
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > Not to mention that PostgreSQL.Org has some of the most complete
> > documentation
> > of any software out there.
>
> Yes, I don't understand why people seem to keep complaining about
> Postgres' documentation - it is by far the best reference documentation
> I've ever come across.
>
> Maybe it's that there isn't much tutorial content in the documentation -
> for somebody trying to learn how to do SQL in the first place, it's not
> going to hold your hand and I could see how that will turn off newbies.

I used to have that complaint until I got more aquainted with the docs.
When I used to use mysql I found that if I used search feature on their docs
I could find exactly what I was looking for almost immediately.  When I use
the postgres doc search feature I don't get the same experience.  It is
slow, sometimes doesn't work and rarely gives me what I am looking for.
Then I just started using google to search the docs and realized that just
looking at the TOC is usually good enough and that the postgres docs are
actually excellent.  My bad experience with search, as well as the good
experience with mysql search (do other people feel this way) however led me
initially to conclude that the postgres docs were not as good.