Re: Can't connect on Windows - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Re: Can't connect on Windows
Date
List pgadmin-support
Note, in particular, that those steps have you run initdb a second
time to create the empty database owned by the 'postgres' user, a
necessary step for running postgresql as a service associated with
that postgres user.

Yes, I have shortcut to the readme, cause I've been using it so much
recently. However, I think there are 2 different procedures, 1 with 4
steps (simplified), and another 1 with 7 steps to install as a service.
I believe the initdb statement in the 2nd procedure is unrelated to the
one in the first.

In short, when I was trying to initdb after switching to postgres OS
user (instead su), I ended up with a semget ... Function not implemented
error. Eventually, I got it to complete installation and can now connect
to it from pgAdmin, but not as a service, just running as myself.

I am now inclined to believe that due to absence of su, the best way to
run it as a service is to make the service owned by the user installing
postgreSQL, rather than a separate postgres user (bottom of page):
http://www.pgsql.info/pg_win.html
(I don't speak German, but the screenshots are understandable).
That was on my mind, but I got it to work as myself and was too excited
to back off w/o a confirmation of this idea.

Sincerely,
r.