Insertion of index tuples are necessary ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Insertion of index tuples are necessary ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

Under current non-overwrite storage manager,PostgreSQL always has
to insert index tuples corresponding to a new updated heap tuple even
when the key values are invariant. This is a big pain for frequently
updated tables.  Can we omit the insertion when the key values are
invariant ?  We could follow update chain of heap tuples since MVCC
was introduced.
In addtion we may be able to update heap-TID member of an index
tuple to the latest TID in the middle of index access without vacuuming.

Comments anyone ?

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp