RE: [SQL] Move forward all (Was Re: How to get last 10 rows in a table on a large database?) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject RE: [SQL] Move forward all (Was Re: How to get last 10 rows in a table on a large database?)
Date
List pgsql-sql

Doesn't your query have any qualification(WHERE clause) about
columns in index ?
If there's no qualification,PostgreSQL optimizer chooses sequential
scan(however current developing tree probably chooses Index scan
in case of ORDER BY).
In case of Index scan,"fetch backward .." after "move forward all" is
possible after 6.5 ,
But in case of sequential scan,maybe it's still impossible.

I knew the way to fix it but am not sure now.
Do you really want to make it possible ?
It isn't an appropriate way to get last rows because "move forward
all" takes very long time.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp