Re: [BUGS] Bus error in formatting.c NUM_numpart_to_char (9.4.12, 9.6.3, sparc) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Turelinckx
Subject Re: [BUGS] Bus error in formatting.c NUM_numpart_to_char (9.4.12, 9.6.3, sparc)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> > A potentially similar issue was introduced in 9.4.7 and resolved in 9.4.8:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160413094117.GC21485@msg.creda
> > tiv.de
>
> We never did get a clear explanation of why that crashed on Sparc.
> I hypothesized over-aggressive compiler assumptions about alignment, but there was no convincing evidence for that.
Itmight be worth taking a look at the assembly code immediately around the crash point, especially if you could also
getthe corresponding code from 9.4.8.

I've already built 9.4.8, passing all tests. I can try to build 9.4.7 to reproduce that crash. I can also try to build
9.4.7with just the relevant commit (0045691) applied to resolve that crash.

But I need more information / pointers to documentation on how to find and provide the information you need, as I have
noexperience with looking at assembly code.

Best regards,
Tom Turelinckx