SUBSTRING performance for large BYTEA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vance Maverick
Subject SUBSTRING performance for large BYTEA
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm working on reading large BYTEA fields from PostgreSQL 8.1.  (For legacy
reasons, it's unattractive to move them to large objects.)  I'm using JDBC,
and as various people have pointed out
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2005-06/msg00138.php>, the
standard stream-style access method runs out of memory for large BYTEAs.

Karsten Hilbert mentions using SUBSTRING to read these BYTEA fields a chunk
at a time
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg00032.php>.  I've
tried this, and indeed it works.  (Once I corrected for the 1-based indexing
;-))

My question is about performance in the postgres server.  When I execute
"SELECT SUBSTRING (my_bytea FROM ? FOR ?) FROM my_table WHERE id = ?", does
it fetch the whole BYTEA into memory?  Or does it access only the pages that
contain the requested substring?

    Vance