Re: Can't start postmaster->half done - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Re: Can't start postmaster->half done
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
I still can't run it as service, which I guess makes it more secure and
more production-like, but I did succeed in connecting with pgAdmin
running as myself. To play around, this is good enough.
I just wonder why I get a semget not implemented when trying to initdb
as postgres, and running as a service. Something about permissions, but
I don't see what it is.

P.S. The problem in connecting as myself was conf setting to allow
tcp_ip socket connections. I don't even reach that stage when doing
initdb as postgres.

r.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-cygwin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-cygwin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Reshat Sabiq
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 1:15 AM
To: 'Cornelia Boenigk'; pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] Can't start postmaster

Thanks, I really had overlooked that. But I couldn't get it to run
anyway. Indeed I hadn't unpacked cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2 until your
message. I think there was an older version. However, even after
unpacking it I'm still getting the same error message after switching to
user postgres. The files went to /usr/local/bin and a couple of other
folders. I assume I don't have to build them, am I right (there's no
source and no makefile, anyway)? I simply ran
tar xvjf cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2
and then did this:
Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
    create a key of type REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path
    to the application, eg. "C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin\ipc-daemon.exe"
    and with the value equal to the preferred CYGWIN settings,
    eg "binmode tty ntsec".
As recommended at
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/index.html#LAT
EST.

So, it appears that I've got cygipc, and I can do net start ipc-daemon
successfully. Yet the message below suggests that it ain't working.

I start installation as myself, then switch to postgres user to do
initdb (hoping to come back and launch psql as myself), and initdb
fails.

Sorry for long message.

Thanks,
r.

P.S. I don't quite understand what semaphore is and how to test
ipc-daemon, but I did figure out 1 simple test command:
$ ipctest s c 1 17
Test v0.03s g 0 1
semaphore 0 created

Plus, it does run successfully as a service.

P.P.S. And when trying to run as myself, and not as a service, a log was
created saying it runs on port 5432, but I can't connect from pgAdmin.

P.P.P.S.
$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/share/postgresql/data...
ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1...
IpcSemaphore
Create: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: Function not implemented

initdb failed.