Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Chaya Gilburt
Subject Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes
Date
Re: Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Dear Sirs,

=20

We are observing an odd phenomena with PostgresSQL, which is no doubt =
due to
our using the database improperly.  That database in question is =
PostgresSQL
Version 8.7.1 and runs on a machine installed with Server 2003. The =
DELETE
commands were being issued both from a Windows XP using PostgresSQL =
Version
9.1 and at times, from the server itself.

=20

1.       We have a table that receives a load of data daily from an =
older
system. Every night, we delete some of the rows on the table using a =
DELETE
command from PgAdminIII, perform a VACUUM Full on that table, and then
reload the data using a batch file that contains a series of INSERTS. We =
run
the batch file from the command line prompt. The table seems fine
afterwards, and the data is correct. We then we turn off the system for =
the
night.

=20

2.        First thing next morning, we look at the data and verify that =
it
is the same as it was the night before. Suddenly, as the day goes by, =
the
older, deleted data appears to =93bleed=94 back into the table, creating
duplicate rows. Users are entering new data to that table during the =
day, as
well as looking at the data we loaded the night before, but none of the
duplicate rows are coming from user input, only the system itself. What =
are
we doing wrong?

=20

We have not tried dropping the table and starting over, as that would =
entail
reloading much older data. I think that you will probably say, =93Get =
your
versions in sync right away!=94 It=B4s just that the duplication of data =
occurs
only in this one file where all the deletes are issued every night.

=20

Sincerely,

Chaya Gilburt