Large Objects and and Vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Windsor
Subject Large Objects and and Vacuum
Date
Re: Large Objects and and Vacuum  (Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>)
Re: Large Objects and and Vacuum  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hi

I am struggling with the volume and number of XML files a new application is storing. The table pg_largeobjects is growing fast, and despite the efforts of vacuumlo, vacuum and auto-vacuum it keeps on growing in size.

The main tables that hold large objects are partitioned and every few days I drop partition tables older than seven days, but despite all this, the system is growing in size and not releasing space back to the OS.

Using either vacuum full or cluster to fix pg_largeobjects will require a large amount of work space which I do not have on this server.

Is there another method of scanning postgres tables, moving active blocks and releasing store back to the OS?

Failing this, I can see an NFS mount being required.

Simon

Simon Windsor

Eml: simon.windsor@cornfield.org.uk

Tel: 01454 617689

Mob: 07590 324560

“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”