Re: using functions to generate custom error messages - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Re: using functions to generate custom error messages
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thanks Rod,

I certainly find it a must to use such features as referential integrity
(even it costs a little), transaction support, custom objects, etc.
which make postgreSQL stand apart from mySQL, etc. Such standard
features as value checks, which I believe can be ported quite easily
also don't arouse my doubts.
I guess features that don't port well across DBs are stored procedures
and consequently triggers. Those are the things I am referring to. For
example, if we need to increment a field by a certain value once in
every 2 weeks, would you suggest using stored procedures to accomplish
it, or app logic? And in general, when would you say it's worth to use
stored procedures?

Thanks,
r.