Re: using functions to generate custom error messages - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Rod Kreisler
Subject Re: using functions to generate custom error messages
Date
Re: using functions to generate custom error messages  ("Reshat Sabiq" <sabiq@purdue.edu>)
List pgsql-novice
Reshat,

You have some points, however just as there is the possibility of switching
RDBMS, there is a possibility that the frontend language will change as
well.  Furthermore, a greater possibility, I think, that multiple frontends
under different platforms will access the one data source.

Data integrity constraints MUST be in the database itself anyway (if not,
then I suggest using MySQL...), otherwise you are hoping that multiple ADs
are going to properly maintain integrity in the applications.

IMHO, what Joel suggests is quite reasonable.

Rod