Re: Compile fail, alpha5 & gcc 4.3.3 in elog.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Compile fail, alpha5 & gcc 4.3.3 in elog.c
Date
Re: Compile fail, alpha5 & gcc 4.3.3 in elog.c  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Apr 2, 2010, at 5:18 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On fre, 2010-04-02 at 04:48 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I can't easily get on line to check this just now, but did I
>> accidentally bundle my Makefile.custom into this tarball?
>
> Uhum, if you had followed
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Alpha_release_process then this
> couldn't
> have happened.

Forgive me for being a little annoyed here, but I actually did follow
that document quite closely. Unfortunately it omits to mention a few
key points.

What actually happened here is that I discovered that I couldn't run
"make distcheck" on a clean source tree.  configure needs to be run
first, and the fine documentation makes no mention of what options
should be used.  So naturally I just ran my dev-configure alias, which
also creates a one-line Makefile.custom.  Now maybe I should have
realized that this was going to lead to bad things happening, but I
didn't.  The wiki page in fact makes no reference at all to the state
that one's source tree should be in when doing all of this; it just
didn't occur to me that any random crap I happened to have lying
around there was going to get shipped.

I'm obviously very sorry for the hassle and frustration caused by this
mistake, especially to Dave Page, but hopefully you understand that I
was trying rather hard to get this right; and perhaps the Wiki page
can also be improved to mention some of these details.

...Robert