Re: RPM building (was regression on RedHat) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: RPM building (was regression on RedHat)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <aa2@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> It's not "Mandrake" that will be broken.  Mandrake is also often used by
> new Linux users who wouldn't have the slightest idea about setting GCC
> options.  It'll be THEM that have broken installations if we take this
> approach (as an aside, that means that WE will be probably also be
> answering more questions about PostgreSQL being broken on Mandrake
> systems).
>
> Isn't it better that PostgreSQL works with what it's got on a system AND
> ALSO that someone notifies the Mandrake people regarding the problem?

Most people will use what the vendor ship - a vendor (like us) look
into the benefits (stability, performance, compatiblity) of different
packages, and make a selection. If they've done a choice of which
options are used in their distribution, they are obviously fine with
the consequences.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.