7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?)
Date
List pgsql-general
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Holger Klawitter wrote:
>
> > Pawel Wegrzyn wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > What is the latest version of PostgreSQL?
> > > Is there something like 7.1?
> >
> > The most recent version 7.0.2. 7.1 is about to come - I am looking
> > forward to it as well.
>
> 7.0.3 is about to come out, 7.1 is about 2 months away yet :)

How compatible with 7.0 and 7.1 be from an application standpoint?
Will applications linked with libraries from 7.0 be able to talk to
the 7.1 database?  Any changes in library major versions? The other
way?

The reason I'm asking is that Red Hat wants to maintain binary
compatibility in a for all x in y.x (that's what distribution
numbering means to us, other Linux distributions have other (and
sometimes rather weird) schemes), but I'm also interested in upgrading
the database component.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.