Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From
Subject Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
We have talked about performance and some new features
before freeze of 8.1. Like ;

·        Bitmap indexes
·        Autovacuum
·        GIS features
·        Object-Oriented features
·        PITR
·        Table Partition
   But there is a feature that is too important for a
database. It is availability.Now PostgreSQL doesn't have
high availability.We must discuss it here. Imagine a
database that has a lots of features that others don’t
have. I tested the PostgreSQL for that feature, i couldn't
find it enough. Here :
   Process A start to update / insert some rows in a table
and then the connection of process A is lost to PostgreSQL
before it sends commit or rollback. Other processes want to
update the same rows or SELECT …..FOR UPDATE for the same
rows.Now these processes are providing SELECT WAITING… or
CANCEL QUERY if statement_timeout was set. Imagine these
processes is getting grower. What will we do now ?
Restarting backend or finding process A and kill it ?
  Now, do you think that the PostgreSQL database is a high
available database ? A feature must be added to solve that
problem or PostgreSQL databases would never get a good
place among huge databases.
Best Regards
Adnan DURSUNASRIN Bilişim Ltd.Ankara /TURKEY