Re: [SQL] 16 parameter limit - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [SQL] 16 parameter limit
Date
List pgsql-patches
Peter,

> If you want to increase it, let's just increase it and not add any
> more
> configure options.  If someone wants more than 32 then we really need
> start talking about design issues.

Actually, many Oracle DBAs use functions/procedures with up to 300
parameters.  If we want them to take PostgreSQL seriously as an
alternative to Oracle, we need to be able to accommodate that, at the
very least through an accessable configure-time option.

Also, this is a very frequent request on the SQL list.  The fact that
currently the defualt is 16 and pg_config.h is not documented anywhere,
is rather unfriendly to developers who like to use their functions as
pseudo-middleware.

John, please speak up here so the core team knows this isn't "just me."

-Josh Berkus