Re: CVS should die - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: CVS should die
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,
> (I'm rather interested to know whether any other SCMs have a better
> solution to this problem, and if so what it is.  It's not obvious how
> to do better.)

I've been working with a few SCM's and IMHO only one of them really
handles this really well. That's ClearCase. I'm well aware that
ClearCase is not an option but I though it could still be interesting to
know how this can be managed when done right.

In ClearCase everything (both files and directories) are "elements". A
directory is a version of an element and it contains versions of other
elements. It's not very different from Unix and I-nodes although
everything is of course versioned.

Subversion claims they handle moves pretty well. When I checked it out,
it turns out that a move is a copy (versions and all) followed by a
delete, thus maintaining version history at both locations. I'd
recommend anyone who think CVS is insufficient due to file moves to
investigate subversion.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren