Re: Views, views, views! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew - Supernews
Subject Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2005-05-05, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> This makes sense; I do wish that someone had mentioned it when I originally
> raised the subject of new system views.  It would have saved us some work.

I'd have raised it myself if I thought there was any mileage in it. As
you can probably guess, I don't.

information_schema is fine at what it is _intended_ for - as a
standardized way of accessing a standard subset of the available metadata.
In that sense it is still necessary - however it is not sufficient, and
I don't believe that either the raw catalogs nor any reasonable extension
of information_schema actually fills that gap.

--
Andrew, Supernews