Re: Re: [HACKERS] 8Ko limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dale Anderson
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] 8Ko limitation
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes, we all know that any 1 filesystem can be over 2GB.....I have one that is 7GB.  What he is asking is can any 1 FILE
belarge that 2GB???????????????????

>>> Erich <hh@cyberpass.net> 07/20/00 04:05PM >>>
> Even on Linux? I'm studying a database project where the raw data is 10 to 20
> Gb (it will be in several tables in the same database). Linux has a limit of 2
> Gb for a file (even on 64-bits machine, if I'm correct). A colleague told me

Quoi?

On my RedHat6.2 system:

/dev/md0              14111856    257828  13137168   2% /raid

> to use NetBSD instead, because PostgreSQL on a Linux machine cannot host more
> than 2 Gb per database. Any practical experience? (I'm not interested in "It
> should work".)

For a heavy-duty server, I would probably pick OpenBSD over Linux, but
both will work fine, and both can have filesystems far larger than
2gb.