insert on duplicate update? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Filipov
Subject insert on duplicate update?
Date
Re: insert on duplicate update?  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
List pgsql-general
hi,
is there in postgres anything similar to:
insert .... on duplicate update?
here is the problem i need a solution for:
I need to insert in pg_type a row which was previously selected from there
and
with slight modifications, the problem is that when i try to insert the row
there might be a row with the same 'typname' which is sort of primary key.
The second problem is that when doing those operations i don't want to
depend
on the specific structure of the pg_type catalog. I want my procedure
to work even if in some future release additional columns to pg_type are
added.
So what i want is to insert a row in a table that was previously selected
 from the same
table but if there is primary key collision i want to update the row that
collided. And
all these without being dependant on the table structure.