Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance??? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PFC
Subject Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Thats a really good idea, just store a list of the sorted ids in the
> temp table - small amount of data for insert... I like it!
>
> Alex Turner
> NetEconomist

    The best part is that you can skip the LIMIT/OFFSET entirely if you put
page numbers in your cache table while inserting into it, via a temporary
sequence or something. Retrieving the results will then be very fast, but
beware that SELECT * FROM table WHERE id =ANY( array ) won't use an index,
so you'll have to trick the thing by generating a query with IN, or
joining against a SRF returning the elements of the array one by one,
which might be better.