Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud
Subject Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns
Date
List pgsql-general
SELECT max, then treat the string as a sequence of characters and
increment the last character, rippling the carry if there is one :

carry = 1
l = len(s)-1
while carry and l>=0:
    c = s[l]
    c += carry
    if c>max_allowed_char:
        c = min_allowed_char
        carry = 1
    else:
        carry = 0
    s[l] = c

if carry:
    s = min_allowed_char + s

If two transactions do the same at the same time, you're out of luck
though !

*** Better solution :

if the value was human-entered, prefix it with 'H',
if it's auto generated, use 'A' concatenated with the value from a sequence

thus the user-entered values can't clahs with the sequence values ; the
sequence values are by definition unique ; and all is well.

or something like that...