Re: Data type to use for primary key - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud
Subject Re: Data type to use for primary key
Date
Re: Data type to use for primary key  ("Peter Darley" <pdarley@kinesis-cem.com>)
List pgsql-performance
> What is the common approach? Should I use directly the product_code as
> my ID, or use a sequantial number for speed? (I did the same for the
> company_id, this is a 'serial' and not the shor name of the customer.
> I just don't know what is usually done.

    Use a serial :
    - you can change product_code for a product easily
    - you can pass around integers easier around, in web forms for instance,
you don't have to ask 'should I escape this string ?'
    - it's faster
    - it uses less space
    - if one day you must manage products from another source whose
product_code overlap yours, you won't have problems
    - you can generate them with a serial uniquely and easily