Re: libpq vs ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pierre C
Subject Re: libpq vs ODBC
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 06:51:26 +0100, Alex Goncharov
<alex-goncharov@comcast.net> wrote:

> ,--- You/Divakar (Wed, 8 Dec 2010 21:17:22 -0800 (PST)) ----*
> | So it means there will be visible impact if the nature of DB
> interaction is DB
> | insert/select. We do that mostly in my app.
>
> You can't say a "visible impact" unless you can measure it in your
> specific application.
>
> Let's say ODBC takes 10 times of .001 sec for libpq.  Is this a
> "visible impact"?

Well you have to consider server and client resources separately. If you
waste a bit of CPU time on the client by using a suboptimal driver, that
may be a problem, or not. It you waste server resources, that is much more
likely to be a problem, because it is multiplied by the number of clients.
I don't know about the specifics of ODBC performance, but for instance
php's PDO driver's handling of prepared statements with postgres comes up
as an example of what not to do.