Re: Hardware recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From alan bryan
Subject Re: Hardware recommendations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj@servoyant.com> wrote:
> I need to build a new high performance server to replace our current production database server.

We run FreeBSD 8.1 with PG 8.4 (soon to upgrade to PG 9).  Hardware is:

Supermicro 2u 6026T-NTR+
2x  Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz Quad-Core (8 cores total), 48GB RAM

We use ZFS and use SSDs for both the log device and L2ARC.  All disks
and SSDs are behind a 3ware with BBU in single disk mode.  This has
given us the capacity of the spinning disks with (mostly) the
performance of the SSDs.

The main issue we've had is that if the server is rebooted performance
is horrible for a few minutes until the various memory and ZFS caches
are warmed up.  Luckily, that doesn't happen very often.