Re: Table Comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Octavio Alvarez
Subject Re: Table Comments
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:53:16 -0700, Carlos Mennens
<carlos.mennens@gmail.com> wrote:

> CREATE TABLE weather (
>     temp_lo         int,           -- low temperature
> );
>
> I did a search and don't understand in what aspect are the 'comments'
> relevant / visible? I don't see the comments when I attempt to list /
> describe the table with \d weather;

Those are comments to the SQL code, not comments to the columns. Comments
to SQL code are fully ignored by PostgreSQL on execution.

Those are useful if you have an SQL script and you want to document
something there.

For column comments you might want to take a look at the COMMENT command.