Re: Postgres Benchmark Results - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PFC
Subject Re: Postgres Benchmark Results
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:26:38 +0200, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> PFC <lists@peufeu.com> writes:
>>     The little curve that dives into the ground is MySQL with InnoDB.
>>     The Energizer bunny that keeps going is Postgres.
>
> Just for comparison's sake it would be interesting to see a curve for
> mysql/myisam.  Mysql's claim to speed is mostly based on measurements
> taken with myisam tables, but I think that doesn't hold up very well
> under concurrent load.
>
>             regards, tom lane

    I'm doing that now. Here is what I wrote in the report :

    Using prepared statements (important), Postgres beats MyISAM on "simple
selects" as they say, as well as complex selects, even with 1 thread.

    MyISAM caused massive data corruption : posts and topics disappear,
storage engine errors pop off, random thrashed rows appear in the forums
table, therefore screwing up everything, etc. In short : it doesn't work.
But, since noone in their right mind would use MyISAM for critical data, I
include this result anyway, as a curiosity.

    I had to write a repair SQL script to fix the corruption in order to see
how MySQL will fare when it gets bigger than RAM...