Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB & Adaptec - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PFC
Subject Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB & Adaptec
Date
List pgsql-performance

>>     Expensive SCSI hardware RAID cards with expensive 10Krpm harddisks
>> should not get humiliated by such a simple (and cheap) setup. (I'm
>> referring to the 12-drive RAID10 mentioned before, not the other one
>> which was a simple 2-disk mirror). Toms hardware benchmarked some
>> hardware RAIDs and got humongous transfer rates... hm ?
>>

> I'll put up my "slow" 12 disk SCSI array up against your IDE array on a
> large parallel load any day.

    Sure, and I have no doubt that yours will be immensely faster on parallel
loads than mine, but still, it should also be the case on sequential
scan... especially since I have desktop PCI and the original poster has a
real server with PCI-X I think.