Re: bad performance on irix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pete Forman
Subject Re: bad performance on irix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
lamigo@atc.unican.es ("Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro") writes:
> we're running on sgi powerchallenge, 8 r10000 4-way smp, and we're> getting bad performance from postgres, throughput
increasesfrom 1> to 5 streams, but from 5 and above there is no further increase,> performance analysis show high sleep
waitingfor resources

IIRC there is a bottleneck on calls to sleep() or similar on IRIX
SMP.  All requests are dealt with on just one of the CPUs.  I don't
recollect whether there is a way to work around that or whether
programs need to be rewritten.
--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent