Re: purpose of exe? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Christian Ullrich
Subject Re: purpose of exe?
Date
Re: purpose of exe?  (Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.pgsql-odbc@telemetry.co.uk>)
Re: purpose of exe?  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-odbc
* Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On 04/29/2015 07:08 PM, Josh Hester wrote:
>> Hi, can you explain the purpose of the exe wrapper around the two msi
>> files?  Will there be a move away from msi files in the future?

> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/545233FC.9070502@winpg.jp

That doesn't actually *explain* anything, it just states a fact with no
rationale behind it.

There are those of us who use some automated deployment method to
install the driver; having to extract the packages from the wrapper
first is just needless effort.

Yes, in principle I can deploy the wrapper executable. Except if I want
to apply an external transform to the package, which I do.

There may actually be some software in the world where MSI simply can't
do the job. I have a hard time believing that an ODBC driver that drops
maybe ten files and the same number of registry keys belongs in that
category.

I have no objection to that wrapper existing, I just don't want to use
it. Please provide the individual MSIs as well.

--
Christian