Re: purpose of exe? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: purpose of exe?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 04/30/2015 07:15 PM, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> * Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> On 04/29/2015 07:08 PM, Josh Hester wrote:
>>> Hi, can you explain the purpose of the exe wrapper around the two msi
>>> files?  Will there be a move away from msi files in the future?
>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/545233FC.9070502@winpg.jp
>
> That doesn't actually *explain* anything, it just states a fact with no
> rationale behind it.

Pretty sure the below is an explanation:

"New Windows installer installs both 32-bit and 64-bit driver at once
on 64-bit OS. Both drivers may be needed on 64-bit OS because 32-bit
applications require 32-bit driver and 64-bit applications require
64-bit driver.
"

Having seen enough posts on this list from folks wondering why their 32
bit apps could not find a driver on a 64 bit machine I understand the
reasoning.

> There are those of us who use some automated deployment method to
> install the driver; having to extract the packages from the wrapper
> first is just needless effort.

That is entirely possible, I don't play enough in the Windows world to
know.

> Yes, in principle I can deploy the wrapper executable. Except if I want
> to apply an external transform to the package, which I do.
>
> There may actually be some software in the world where MSI simply can't
> do the job. I have a hard time believing that an ODBC driver that drops
> maybe ten files and the same number of registry keys belongs in that
> category.
>
> I have no objection to that wrapper existing, I just don't want to use
> it. Please provide the individual MSIs as well.

That is for a developer to answer. I am just a user.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com