Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date
List pgsql-general
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when rshepard@appl-ecosys.com (Rich Shepard) would write:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Carmen Wai wrote:
>
>> I would like to know whether there is any different in installing Postgresql
>> on the Linux system with file system of EXT2 or EXT3. I have two machines
>> with idential OS (Red Hat 7.3 install with postgresql 7.3.4) but with
>> different file system, 1 is EXT2 and the other is EXT3. When I insert 10,000
>> records to the two machines, I found that the machine with EXT2 insert much
>> quicker than the other with EXT3.
>>
>> Is postgresqk perform better with EXT2 file system?
>
> Carmen,
>
>   Consider the overhead in having the security of a journaling file system
> when you make your comparisons.

Consider also the overhead of a four hour e2fsck when you make the
comparisons.

And that's four hours that may still leave you with a seriously
hurting database, perhaps still irretrievable.

If the cost is so vastly too much, then the Right Answer is to spend
an extra $1.5K on a MegaRAID controller that will make the cost of the
journal fairly much disappear.

Ah yes, reminder to self...  Need to kick off a data copy that, if my
theory is right, will knock a beefy JFS-based Linux box to the ground,
giving it a good "upper cut" that will hopefully help diagnose some
serious problems we have been seeing in this regard...

So far, this particular server has not been giving great confidence in
the stability of Linux for _big_ DBMS servers... :-(
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/languages.html